Here's my version of the game:
Can you see it?
The bottom, left hexie flower is not centered the same way as the other three!
I know, I know...extreme CDO. (because everyone knows to truly have Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, you must alphabetize it!)
Last week I made this sweet, little pillow with Josephine Kimberling's Hope Chest.
Thank you Charlotte!
The pattern's called Tile Block and shows you how to make three different sizes using a technique from Cathedral Window blocks.
The pillow's finished block is actually 6" sq, the sashing makes it 9" sq finished.
I wanted to try the next size, 9" sq finished, so
I rooted around in my scraps for soft pinks to piece the background.
The pattern calls for four-5", solid background squares.
I wanted a scrappier look and instead of having four...I cut out sixteen 2 & 3/4" ones and pieced them together.
There are four, four patch blocks here not yet sewn together.
I then cut out sixteen 2" squares from my aqua-bluish scraps and pressed them in half diagonally.
These are the pieces that get turned back into a curve when the block is done.
You baste one into each corner of the blocks using a scant 1/8" seam and your machine set on the largest stitch length.
I really liked the look of this once I got the four, four patch blocks sewn together with the triangles in there. I might have to do this for another little project.
The pattern then tells you to "Slightly roll back the folded edge of a traingle to make a gentle curve...with matching thread, blanket stitch, straight stitch or hand tack the folded edges."
I used a light aqua to hand tack the edges down.
I don't have a picture of this stage in the process, but decided it was a little "plain".
That's where those flowers come in! I machine pieced 1 1/2" hexies, and used the Frixion pen to make a 1/4" seam allowance, turned it under and hand sewed them to the background. I had them all hand appliqued on when I realized that one of them was sewn on in the wrong direction.
Perfectionist that I am (ahem...cough!), I simply took my trusty seam ripper and re-appliqued it on with a proper orientation.
Oh, if only things in life were that easy!
Much, much better!
I'm halfway wanting to make another pillow and halfway wanting to make more for a throw size quilt.
I love the look and the hand sewing part is relaxing, but really...we all know I have waaaaaaaay, waaaaaaaay, waaaaaaaay too many unfinished projects lurking in the closet to start another one.
Linking up with
for another action packed, adventuresome foray into the blogging quilt world!
Bring your Indiana Jones hat, whip and bug repellent!