Monday, August 26, 2013

Progress

 
Progress:  forward or onward movement toward a destination
 
 
 
I haven't had much of a chance the last couple of weeks to put as much time into the repurposed linens quilt as I would like.
 
We have two kids taking college classes this year.  They both started their school year last week.  One is finishing university and the other, high school.
 
 
Our youngest is turning 14 soon and transitioning into 9th grade. 
 
We've finally been able to put our parenting philosophy into words:  The journey IS the destination.  Right now, I'm sort of flying along the road less travelled of still raising kids full time.
 
The youngest two started soccer a couple of weeks ago, and while it's awesome to have one drive to practices and class, it seems I've had less "me" time on my hands.  To read.  To clean.  To work in the yard.  To sew.  To make "progress" on so many things I want to do.
 
My onward movement is to help my kids navigate their school years forward into adulthood. 
 
I've been doing it for over twenty-one years now, and I know that these next 4-5 years will most times...go very fast.
 
 
So I keep parenting them.  Grocery shopping.  Cooking.  Laundry.  Dishes.  Sweeping.  Scheduling appointments.  Shuttling hither and yon.  Nursing injuries and adolescent angsts.  Teaching.  Lecturing.  Nagging...loving.
 
And I sit.  When I can.  When I have time.  When I'm yet again waiting on someone else to be ready.
And I add another block to the growing pile.
I fiddle.  Rearrange.  Squint.  Rearrange.
 
 
And when I hear, "Mom!  I'm ready!", I turn off the iron, hit the light switch and shut the sewing machine down.
 
And the journey, once again, is full speed ahead.
 
 
and
 
Find me here.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


10 comments:

  1. I have to say that 'tis an awesome road you are travelling on with your kids! So, so little time to sit and stitch...BUT...the progress thus far with your repurposed linen quilt is quite simply wonderful! It is going to look a treat! I can't wait to see your happy and bright quilt with all those 'pretties' from yesteryear finished! It is a medley of gorgeousness, both in colour and pattern, which can't help but make one's heart sing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The journey absolutely is the destination. Working in some sewing time helps keep me focused!
    I love your quilt beginnings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure one day, um one day your children will thank you for all that you do! I am still helping my son as well, second year of jr college.
    I just sooooo love this quilt you are making out of those vintage linens. It is so beautiful all ready. I can't wait to see it finished!

    ReplyDelete
  4. the colors in these linens are so beautiful, Dee! This quilt is turning out quite lovely!

    :) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

    ReplyDelete
  5. You linen blocks are lovely! They just are such happy colors and prints that they make me smile!

    Tanya Quilts in CO

    ReplyDelete
  6. So love this charming quilt! I have pulled my linens and am inspired to make something similar. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful block and colour choice. Thanks for sharing. Stopping by from Quilt Story. Marie

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is EXACTLY what I have been looking for to use with my vintage linens. I am so excited. Do you have cutting information for the blocks or do you just do it randomly to match? It is wonderful and will be such a treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love how these all nest together. You've done great things with those vintage linens!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great message! Someday they will say Thanks Mom! In the meantime you are making an awesome linen quilt! I have been inspired! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from bloggers wherever you are!