Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Pictures, Patterns and a Plump, Patchwork Pillow

Several people have asked about the Jack's Chain pattern.
My Jack's Chain is machine pieced, but there are EPP (English Paper Piecing) methods that work as well.

Below are pictures and links with pictures, patterns and tips for cutting and piecing this block.





And these two which had pictures I couldn't download.  It is a fun block to piece and join and I'm looking forward to continuing it through the Fall!  LOL


One of the blogs I follow is Twin Fibers with Jennifer and Jessica.  A couple of weeks ago they had the sweetest, pinkest, girliest finish.


I pinned this sweet mini quilt to my "Amazing Quilts" board on Pinterest and thought about it a long time.
While I'm still working on long term projects

(Summer Quilt)
(Tessellation)

(Jack's Chain)
and cranking out Useful Baskets,

I convinced myself I needed some instant gratification.
I increased the size of Jennifer and Jessica's photo of the finished mini quilt and started scheming.
I deconstructed the block into a basic Bow Tie block.

(A Bow Tie WIP for me)

I used an easy tute to help me determine sizes.
Using the instructions for the 3" finished block, I went to the scrap stash and started picking pinks, greens and a yellow for the center.
Here's where I was as of last Wednesday morning:


The "points" of yellow that jut out into the pink from the center are made using 1" square pieces!
Drawing a line from one corner to the opposite corner on the reverse side of each 1" yellow square, line up the 1" yellow square, rst, with one corner of a 3" pink square.
Sew a seam right on the drawn line, cutting the 1" yellow square into triangles.  Use a rotary cutter to cut a 1/4" seam allowance past the seam line.
Press the seam allowance towards the pink.

Ugh!
I hate pressing small things like that.  My fingers end up looking like overcooked broccoli!
 
I started this project a week ago and I'm finally happy to share my new pillow for the den.


This cutie measures 18" x 18".  I decided to sash the flower with some scrumptious blue fabric I found on one of our road trips and edged with a matching red.


Some hand quilting around the petals and a vintage sheet backing mean I've had my instant gratification, learned a new block and made a super sweet pillow for "my" room.  LOL


(lovin' the soft feel and fun aquaness of it all!)


Linking up with Quilt Story and Freshly Pieced.  You should go there too.  Really!  Who doesn't need a little eye candy through the week!

7 comments:

  1. So much prettiness here today!! I love the pillow, especially the touch of hand quilting. Sorry about your broccoli fingers :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, so much color and beauty! I adore the pillow that you did, and I can totally relate to burning the fingers :) Oh, the crazy things we do for the love of quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG - I love your bow tie! It's like a watercolor quilt. Such yummy colors, and I love how it fades from light to dark. Genius!
    I also drool over your flower pillow. It's a great pattern!
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute project! Would love for you to come share at Quiltstory.blogspot on Tuesdays too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a darling pillow!
    And such amazing long term projects! WOW!

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from bloggers wherever you are!