Monday, December 31, 2012

Hens and Chicks Table Quilt

A couple of weeks ago, hubs sweetness and I went to Always In Stitches, a LQS, if you will, for me.

I found this delectable fabric and brought home a yard.  It's "Pam Kitty Floral" by Lake House Dry Goods' founder, Holly Holderman.



What happy, bright, cheerful colors and I love the selvage!  An awesome blog I came across recently while browsing for different selvage designs is the Selvage Blog.  


(images from Selvage Blog) 

How over the top cute are these!

This weekend, I decided that I wanted to put together a new table topper for my bedside table and that the "Pam Kitty" needed to be a focus fabric.  I scoured Pinterest, Flickr, blog sites and quilting magazines on hand for inspiration.  I knew I wanted straight sewing after all the "Y" seams from this monster.


(waiting for inspiration on how to finish this out...ideas?)

Two geometric quilts kept speaking to me.





I started cutting 1 1/2" white squares and sashing them with 1 1/2" wide fabric strips that complimented the focus fabric.  I then went a little bigger and did the same with fabric cut 3 1/2" wide around a 3 1/2"sq white center and played around with the placement.

I had already settled on my finished pattern when I came across this "upscaled" quilt on Pinterest.


How weird is that!  I thought I was being so original.  LOL

This is what I finished putting together yesterday.


I named it "Hens and Chicks".  The table by my bed measures 28" x 18" and the table quilt comes in at 23" x 15" before finishing.  I've already picked out a bright, yellow floral print for the back and a skippy pink polka dot for the binding.

This went together fast! and was fun to hit the scrap baskets to find yummy fabrics to go with the "Pam Kitty Floral".  Hopefully, it will be my first finish for 2013 and on the table soon!

Fabric Tuesday, WIP Wednesday and Finish It Up Friday are linky parties hosted each week.  You can click on the links and have a quilt show without even changing out of your jammies and leaving home!  Make sure you start 2013 right and stop by for inspiration and encouragement!

May 2013 be full of blessings, new beginnins, renewed and restored relationships, love, and quiltey goodness!




15 comments:

  1. Love the header Dee. It's so reflective of how you pair colors.
    The new quilt topper is nice I like the idea of polka dot binding. I'm getting back in the sewing room after too much time away!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so very pretty, Dee !

    I think that I would enjoy digging around in YOUR scrap basket !

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love hens and chicks! Your quilt expresses them well.

    Happy New Year to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the header and all of your colorful pictures. I hope you had a wonderful Christmas.

    « ☆¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•.¸☆ ★ ☆¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•.¸☆
    ╔╗╔╦══╦═╦═╦╗╔╗ ★ ★ ★
    ║╚╝║══║═║═║╚╝║ ☆¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•.¸☆
    ║╔╗║╔╗║╔╣╔╩╗╔╝ ★ NEW YEAR ☆ 2013
    ╚╝╚╩╝╚╩╝╚╝═╚╝ ♥¥☆★☆★☆¥♥ ★☆ ♥♥♥ »

    Madeline xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have so many lovely projects going . . . . love the Hens and Chicks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. beautiful quilts! I am stopping by from the WIP hop, I would love to have you come by and see what I have been up to :) http://domesticdeficitdisorder.blogspot.com/2013/01/wip-wednesday.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the Hens and Chicks! Such pretty colors. All of your projects are very pretty! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous! everything is gorgeous!!! but yes, loving the hens and chicks!
    ps...your new banner, is pretty cool!!!!
    miss chatting with you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi! Your new small quilt is so beautiful! Wonderful design and I love your happy colours! Also the big quilt is fantastic! I had just some y-seams but with more simple pattern - I'm happy I have finished them! x Teje
    Those selvages are super!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh cute! The hens and chicks are so cute. I love the fabrics you picked!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your hen & chicks is sooo impressive! I'm working with Pam Kitty Morning right now too - such fun fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Adorable! I love how you took that inspiration you found and turned it into such a fun project. You're table is going to look great.

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from bloggers wherever you are!