We had an exciting summer with a very, very special couple celebrating their marriage with a honeymoon in a tropical location.
In Indiana (land of soy beans and corn), we can have some pretty cold, icy, wet and long winters. The Metro Rings Quilt I made for them is finally, finally finished and ready for a cuddle up under on a cool, crisp October evening.
I started this quilt in March. Wanting to incorporate some colors and prints that would help Jon and Rebecca remember the tidal treasures and moonlit memories of their honeymoon in the midst of our nasty winter season.
Kaffe Fassett's Collective Fall 2013 fabrics (along with some supplemental stash) were chosen not just for their tropical colors, but they matched the bride's wedding colors as well. The polka dot is a fun print from Joann's that just made me smile.
It was so much fun learning to use the Quick Curve Ruler from Jenny Pedigo.
The arcs were easy to piece and cut. Sewing the curves of the blocks was a piece of cake! I watched several of her YouTube videos to see how she recommended sewing them.
Choosing an only two colors for the blocks kept my "color mistakes" to a minimum. You know how you can go down a rabbit trail when talking to someone about something...and end up totally off topic? Well, I tend to do that with fabric. I start out with a very specific idea for what I want and then end up shaking my head because I'm waaaay off base on some of the colors and prints I've chosen.
Laying out the blue and green rings before I started sewing the finished fifty-six blocks together.
Speaking of rabbit trails...I made a couple of Rolling Stone blocks from scraps. These colors were just too yummy to not play with!
This is one of my all time favorite vintage sheets. I've kept it squirreled away for a special project and this quilt sure is that. It is super soft and the colors are perfect.
And I especially love, love, love the way it quilted up! I chose to echo quilt where the inner and outer areas arcs meet. I think it sort of looks like palm tree leaves. I did take a break from quilting due to shoulder soreness. Wrestling this large of a quilt under my Janome was challenging at times.
And here it is all finished. Washed and crinkley-i-fied. A very simple, celery colored batik was chosen for the binding. Something that wouldn't clash with the rest of the quilt and give your eye someplace to rest.
The Metro Rings Quilt for Jon and Rebecca measures out at 57" x 76".
I definitely learned a lot on this quilt and got a chance to grow some skills. LOL I'm looking forward to making this pattern again!
This weekend, time permitting, they'll be cuddling under it.
The block was made in April of 2013. I really need some inspiration to take this WIP to a finished project.
Linking up with some beautiful blogs where quilters from all over share what they're working on.