Friday, May 14, 2010

The Quilted Couch




So, with all the free time--LOL--I managed to kick myself in the rear and finish up the slipcover for the couch.

I think I've shared before how we are the house to play at in the summer. How at times, I can count over 11 kids here hanging out, playing Xbox, Gamecube, guns, Legos, swords, basketball, soccer, army men etc.

I love that they like to come here and play. Even the girls like to hang out here. One for the dog she thinks is hers and the others like to ride their bikes and play basketball.

Our family room really took a hit last year. The couch was sagging, dirty, nasty and smelled like Doritos (which there was a lot of snacking going on with that many kids hanging out).

May I introduce you to the very feminine, but still boyishly blue, delicate looking, but washable--



Quilted Couch!
This is a one piecer that slides on and off like a dream.  All the cushion covers are zippered to allow me to wash them (hey, where did this pencil mark come from and what is this brown spot already?) and the pillows have envelope backs so their covers can be washed too.
I ended up just buying King size pillows to use for the back cushions.  That way, when they start smelling nasty (as they will) and lose their form (that too shall happen), I can just replace them.  I kept the seat cushions because foam and stuffing are expensive.  A gentle bath and drying outside in the sun improved their shape and their smell as welll!



Soft, buttercup yellow fabric to compliment the colors in the floral fabric.  And they match the new paint!



I have already napped here and Bean and I had a good snuggle yesterday while watching a movie.


We're moving the shelves this weekend hopefully.  Then another wall to conquer and tame.  Planning what to hang on the walls.  What color area rug to put down after the carpet is cleaned.  Like the end table?  LOL  Fisher Price.  Vintage.  We seriously need a new lamp shade and the thing that it sits on.  Several times of getting knocked over by overly rambunctious kids can put a dent or two in your day!


Middleman and I spent some time on our knees together too.  The old cover had a floor length skirt attached with heavy duty staples.  A couple of mini crowbars, hammers, a flathead screwdriver and needle nose pliers helped us remove it from the couch and to the trash can.  Yes.  Some upholstery was injured in the making of the new couch!

To my family; thanks for the support and help through this project.  For all the times I made you get up off the couch while watching tv or playing games so I could measure and try on the fabric.  It's so worth it!

Be sure to check out the other Friday Finishes at Amy's Sew & Tell!
Have a great weekend and Hooah for Best Buys Geek Squad!



26 comments:

  1. WOW!! wow...seriously..wow. I am in LOVE with your "new" couch!!

    And this makes me very Happy as last night I was telling Hubby I wanted to do something similar with a chair in the living room..and now I know it can be done and look great!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your couch has invited me over for a nap!!! I will bring "Summer Breeze" and my pillow... I NEED to curl up on that couch!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! It is so pretty and comfortable looking! Great job on the reupholstering!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dee..i am speechless...WOW, WOW, WOW!!!! have you made covers before? this looks amazing. i need so badly to cover my couches...they are old and getting a little threadbare but it is too scary a undertaking for me. want to come and make me some? :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow - that is beyond amazing! And great idea of king pillows for the back. It all looks so wonderful. And I love that your house is the hang out house - the best!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic! I love the colors and the mix-match look. I just finished making slipcovers for our sofa for the summer and I have to say-I like yours better!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's beautiful!!! You really outdid your self on this! Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dee, please come and help me do one for my couch. I'm afraid to start something I can't finish and then have to buy a new couch. . .how do you feel about California in May?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow Dee you did a beautiful job! Do you do carpet? I need help!

    ReplyDelete
  10. THAT.IS.AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love it! It's gorgeous and looks so perfect, like it's not even really a slipcover! It's so fitted. What a wonderful job you did! I'd love to snuggle under a quilt and take a nap on it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an amazing finish for this week! You have totally impressed me in so many levels. Your couch looks comfy and I have picked my spot on it! Hee hee...

    You really outdid yourself Dee :o)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your couch has stolen my heart! :o) Seriously, it looks beautiful! You really did a great job.
    Sincerely ~ Tricia

    ReplyDelete
  13. Outrageously wonderful job........and I took a close look too !

    So cozy........I hope YOU get to use it now and then !

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fabulous! I love the colors. You won my blow me away award!! AND you can wash it!? I'm looking at sheer brilliance while I adjust the slipcover on mine yet again!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fabulous! What a great way to make something old new again--and so much more practical when you've got all the neighborhood kids hanging out.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is SOOOO beautiful! WOW!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm thoroughly impressed with your talents! The couch fabric is fresh and pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a fantastic project! Beautiful. Practical. Creative. Boyish. Girly. It has it all! You are a thoughtful mom.

    ReplyDelete
  19. dang Dee! that just turned out fabulous! I love that you made it to suit your family and aren't expecting it to stay perfect. You're a super star!

    ReplyDelete
  20. That is a great couch, and a great save! Good work!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your couch looks awesome. Love that you are the neighborhood hang out. What a compliment to you. Even if it means your couch may smell like Doritos.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow, Dee, your handiwork is amazing! I totally get the reality of kids + furniture. Oy

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh my Gosh Dee, your recovered lounge is divine, and amazing, and so enticing, I just want to come and snuggle into it! Fabulous job xo

    ReplyDelete
  24. i am so impressed! your couch looks perfect. so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow, your couch looks amazing! I've long wanted to make a slipcover for our couch but the prospect is just too daunting for me. And I think your idea to use king size pillows is genius! Nice job.

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from bloggers wherever you are!