Friday, May 17, 2013

Blogger's Quilt Festival Spring 2013

Yay!
It's one of my favorite times of the year...Blogger's Quilt Festival!
As a homeschooling mama, college senior's checkbook, and wife-extraordinaire (lol),  I don't get to jet off  Quilt Market or SewCon.  Shoot, I barely make it to my LQS at a respectable rate.

That's what makes this event so awesome...We (me, myself, and I-and YOU!) get to grab our beverages of choice, our iPads, pc's and electronic viewing devices and go to a virtual quilt for two weeks straight!

So grab your cuppa, slip on some comfy shoes (or go naked footed), put a box of Poptarts and juice boxes in front of your kids, lock the door and enjoy two rockin' weeks of the best the web has to offer! 

This year I'm entering my "Tree of Life" quilt in the Art Quilt Category.

Over a year ago, I fell in love with a print from Rett.  I emailed her and asked permission to share some of her incredible photos and tell her I was working on a quilt inspired by her "A Tree Grows".  Please stop by her blog!  She is a "quilter at heart" and her work is truly amazing!


Here is my initial "grid" of scrappy squares with white for the area where the "tree" would go.



I stitched together the yellows, oranges, reds and pink and took a large bowl as a template to cut out the "tree" and then pin basted it onto the sky and ground "grid".


Then I drew the trunk and branches onto a large piece of butcher's paper, transferred it to Heat N Bond fused to a beautiful, brown batik and cut out my pattern.
Ironing was done very carefully!
LOL


Using the same process, I cut out about a gazillion yellow dots for the "fireflies".
Ironing was done even more carefully!

Time for quilting!
Which was a whole other learning curve for me and stretched my limited FMQ skills to the max!


I used a variagated Sulky in blues for the sky.  FMQing swirls for the "fireflies" to play in.
A variagated orange, pink, red and green Sulky for the leaves on the tree.
I tried to stay "true" to Rett's concentric circles for bark and am really happy with that and the feel of the branches.  The grass is quilted with long, vertical "blades" of grass and the whole thing is bound with the same brown batik as the trunk and branches.


"Tree of Life" measures 17 1/2" sq and because of all the quilting, is pretty heavy!  I really enjoyed taking Rett's inspirational creativity into a new medium and her current works would make lovely quilts!

Thank you once again Rett!







   

20 comments:

  1. This is beautiful! Thanks for showing it in the festival. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a sucker for trees! I love the way you've layered this and all that quilting is incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your "Tree of Life" is just beautiful - such a lovely interpretation of Loretta's design!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely quilt. I've been working on a pomegranate tree, but am far from finished. Loved how you put it within a circle.
    best, nadia

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so glad to see this one again - it really is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was also inspired by Rett's works, and wanted to make a quilt. Somehow I came across a blog entry of yours from awhile back, and your quilt gave me the inspiration to try it to. Mine is going to be king-sized! It is super fun to make, i can send you pics when I'm done if you want.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! That is amazing. You did a beautiful job of recreating the painting. They are both amazing works of art. Thanks for sharing.

    xo -E

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful! Very nice work, I really like how you did the background with the cool color squares and the warm color ones. So pretty

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice! I love this scrappy art piece. The "Tree of Life" is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful, love all the colours.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So beautiful! Thanks for sharing your story and lovely piece. Have a great day

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's beautiful! It reminds me of a harvest moon rising. Really lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is gorgeous. So glad you took pictures along the way, it's good to see how it came together. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I couldn't not stop by and see your tree - really enjoyed reading your process and love the finished piece. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is so awesome!! Thanks for describing your process too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely interpretation in fabric of the inspiration piece. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful!! loved to see your process

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from bloggers wherever you are!