Friday, March 4, 2011

Persian Garden

Last Thursday, I broke out of my routine and went shopping at Joann's and Hobby Lobby.  Just didn't want to go back to the house after dropping Middleman at school. 

I found some beautiful fabric at both places that played well together, but I wasn't sure what I wanted to do with them.
A couple of years ago, I bought this book

Quick and Easy Romantic Quilts
by
Sandy Berry.

I love the designs in this book and made one of them for Javi's graduation.  That picture is on my other laptop, but you can see it at the link.

This is another of my favorites I wanted to try.

A variation of a blooming nine patch.

I started cutting fabric last Friday and Saturday KT arranged for she and I to spend most of the day Saturday just sewing at a LQS. 
(She's having a giveaway on her blog right now!)

This is my interpretation of Sandy Berry's Anastasia' Dream.
I'm calling it Persian Garden.
It reminds me of one of our Persian rugs!  lol

I started out with a purple polka dot in the middle and added the material from Joann's and Hobby Lobby.
You strip piece the 4" x 4" nine patches and blend them with same size fabric blocks.  Blending or contrasting as you like.  It measures about 61" x 72" inches and will make a colorful and springey quilt to cuddle under.

The black was way out of my color comfort zone.  But it's so beautiful!

The light, flowery fabric towards the center was the first fabric I saw and the black, flowery just begged to be paired with it.  The pink and blue fabrics I already had in my stash.  The paisley, aqua and black on the edges bought to finish out the quilt.

I just finished it today and am already thinking about what kind of a back to make.
Diamonds?

Later that night, KT's family and mine went to Half Price Books in Indy where hubby sweets bought me a new book.

(sorry for the flash, I'm so lame!)
Quilts with a Spin
by
Becky Goldsmith and Linda Jenkins.

This was one of the patterns that caught my eye.

Along with this one I am dying to try!

Don't they look yummy!

Sew happy I finished up the top so quickly.  I was really motivated by the sunshine we had the last couple of days.  Except for today.  When it was finished and ready for pictures!  lol
Thanks to Middleman for braving the height of the coffee table to help me snap a picture.

Here he is with his 15th birthday present.  He's been playing and taking lessons since September and amazes me.  He plays by ear and has learned to read guitar music.  Which, I'm told, is different from other kinds of music...like the piano and trombone he's played.
He's growing his hair out to join the keepers on his soccer team.  He would like to keep this year or in the future.  Except for one, all the other boys have long hair.
Sigh.

Signing off to go start on the back!
Spring is...well..springing!




5 comments:

  1. I really love the color combination on this quilt Dee. Very nice.
    I totally agree with you about the Everyday Best quilt. It looks like something I'd enjoy making.
    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your interpretation is beautiful, Dee! It has a great "modern"feel to it, and I love your choice of black with the aqua, and purple center is so cool! I have that first book, too 'cuz I liked the patchy heart on the front. Anyway, I LOVE IT. Love it!
    :-}pokey

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely love your version of the quilt, the colours are unusual and fabulous together. Very eye-catching. The name persian garden very apt xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so beautiful, Dee! I just LOVE it! The black is really the perfect touch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your Persian Garden quilt is gorgeous! Spring is springing here too..thank goodness.

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from bloggers wherever you are!