Saturday, October 9, 2010

Memory Quilt

for Shelby is finished!

Shelby lost her mom a year ago August to cancer.
She and her dad saw the Memory Quilt I had made for Marcia's brother

 
out of their dad's clothing.  Denim jeans and cotton shirts.


They asked me to make one for Shelby, who is only 11, out of clothing her mom wore that was special and significant to her.  Her mom loved her family.  I can tell from the clothes.  They look a lot like what I wear or would have worn.  And you know how much I love my husband and kids!  There were two jackets they sent to me.  I didn't use them because I thought, someday, Shelby might want to wear them and remember her mom and feel like her mom's arms are around her when she wears them.

After I started this quilt, it kept telling me it needed a little something.  I started playing around with the blocks I had made and realized, Shelby's a little girl, who might like some brighter colors sharing the quilt with her mom's things.  So, I went through my stash and scraps and found fabrics I thought would be happy and cheerful.  Fabrics and colors I thought her mom would have liked and that Shelby would enjoy.


Middleman and his two friends, both named Alexis oddly enough, helped hold the quilt up at the school playground at the end of our street.

Shelby, I hope you like it.  I hope it helps you remember your mom and all the fun times, silly times, sad times and happy times you had with her.  You will always be in my prayers.

8 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, Dee, that is truly a work of heart. I can only imagine how comforted Shelby will feel with this quilt wrapped around her. You are a wonderful woman! Bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have loved your heart for a long time now!!! It gets more wonderful with each passing year!!!

    Hugs....sniff...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing Dee, that's beautiful. I might be calling on you for help as my neighbor has asked me to make a throw out of a pair of jeans the belonged to her niece.

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is so beautiful. what a special way to remember her mom. i was wanting to make quilts for my mom and her 4 brothers and sisters after their dad passed away but my aunt has yet to be able to part with his things....so it is on hold for a little while.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How wonderful and tender. You always make me smile at your generous heart.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That quilts looks both happy and comforting. I love the larger blocks and then the sections of smaller patchwork - they really set each other off so nicely.

    Wonderful, Dee.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That quilt is just amazing and inspirational!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Dee - my name is Rachael and I make all sorts of memory & memorial quilts for people almost full time. I'm really interested in the technique you used here - I was wondering if you might be able to share with me. I think this would be perfect to learn if I had a young boy or something to work for. Yours truly, Rachael

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from bloggers wherever you are!